Feb 9, 2008

The Willing Suspension of Disbelief

I have had a few attempts at devising a web journal of sorts. The first was a grandiose scheme of watching every film directed and/or written by Woody Allen. At the time of this brainstorm, Mr. Allen had directed 36 films and his latest, at that time, was about to be released ... Match Point. It's arrival had critics buzzing about it being "one of the best" Woody Allen films in years. The expectations of its arrival had prompted the Film Society of Lincoln Center to hold a special interview with Mr. Allen at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center in front of a live audience before an exclusive preview of Match Point. So, in my fevered brain, I devised a scenario I found truly brilliant ... I would watch every Woody film, one a day, write about it and do this until the day of his appearance in New York City AND I would attend this live event .. the perfect denoument ... a grand ending to a monumental movie watching task. Monumental was not the adjective to use ... more like tedious and nerve-wracking. Cramming a film into each day and attempting to transcribe your feeling every day in days in which you must toil at your place of employment, eat, sleep and just LIVE with unexpected personal interruptions is not fun. The worst part of this exploit was finding out I could not get a ticket to the event at Lincoln Center. It was mainly for Film Society Members and their rich friends. I was not a member nor was I a rich friend of a member. I would not be attending. The blog was a bust. I did watch a Woody Allen film each day, but I did not write each day ... I did sometimes, but it was impossible to do it every day. My next blog idea was to compose a piece on each James Bond film in chronological order each week ... again a useless adventure in creativity.

So, this time I will try a regular web journal with no themes, no grand conclusions and no blog of monomania. I will center 99% of this journal on film. I love movies ... and always have and I can never envision a day I would not want to see, read or talk endlessly about movies. They are my passion. And this blog will indulge my passion. And the title of this post is in reference to what I believe one must do when viewing film ... totally engage and devoid oneself of all other beliefs and thoughts and wordly intrusions. Suspend them all and let the film cascade over you like a sea wave. I will discuss other matters at times ... books, television, a person I admire, friends and so forth ... all things, especially the magic of film, that are habits of my attention.

4 comments:

kazu said...

::clap clap clap:: bravo, jim, you did it. that wasn't so bad was it?

Anonymous said...

I hope to see many of my suggestions referred to here.

Go get 'em, tiger!

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to future blog posts, my friend. I think you have succeeded in creating a visually pleasing and mentally stimulating environment here. If you don't keep that up I will be disappointed. I don't think you'll have any problems, though.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, it are those observations that pertain to cinema, but which echoes in a personal demeanour that I so enjoy and look forward to reading in your weblog. (...even though the thought of a journal devoted to Bond films discussed chronologically sounds like an amazing enterprise). ;)